Canada Immigration and Visa Information Center. Services include Canadian Immigration and Student Visas.
Canada immigration
visa immigration Canada
Canada Immigration Canadian employment
Canada Visa
Immigration to Canada
Canadian Citizenship
Immigration to Canada services
Canada Immigration and Visa Help Center

Immigration Discussion
Free Online Evaluation
Canada Immigration
Canada Visa
Study in Canada
Canada Citizenship
Advise for
           Health Care
           Social Insurance Number
           Language Training
           Budgeting, Banking and Saving
           Rights and Freedoms
           Canada Government
           Keeping your Residence Permit
Canadian Employment
Canada Universities
Privacy Statement
Site Map
Contact Us
canada immigration

Elementary and Secondary School Education
Citizenship and Immigration Canada


Public Education for children

Public education is run by the provincial governments and is paid for through taxes. Public education is free and available to every child in Canada. By law, children must attend school until the age of 15 or 16.

In some provinces there are separate public school boards reflecting different religious and languages preferences.

Generally, the language of instruction is either English or French. If a student has difficulty with the language, he or she is usually given extra language training. In Quebec, almost all newcomers attend French language schools.

Boys and girls share classrooms and are taught together in almost all public schools. Teachers in all provinces must be qualified and licensed. All academic teachers have at least one university degree and special training in education.

Most children in Canada attend public schools. About five per cent of students go to private schools, which charge school fees.

Elementary and secondary school

In most provinces children start out in elementary school, which is usually kindergarten to grade 6 or 8. This is followed by secondary school also called high school. In some provinces this may be divided into junior high (grades 7 to 9) and senior high (grades 10-12). Students must complete certain academic courses in high school in order to be admitted to university.

How to enroll your children in school

Parents must register children at the local school or school board office. School boards are listed in the blue pages of the telephone book.

When you register your child, you must take with you:

  • Permanent Resident Card, Record of Landing (IMM1000) or Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292)
  • birth certificate
  • vaccination certificate
  • any previous school records

Your children’s language and mathematical skills might be tested. Then your child will be placed in the program the school thinks is best for them. If you think that your children may have been incorrectly placed, talk to their teacher, guidance counsellor or school principal.


©2002-2007 All Rights Reserved.
Canadian Visa and Relocation Services.

Canadian Immigration Visa, relocation, and employment services. Temporary Visa to Canada.
Immigration to Canada Employment in Canada and Canadian citizenship and emigration services.
Emmigration to Canada and imigration forms. Emigrate and USA emmigration and green card.
Canada Green card which is named by Canadian citizenship within Canada.