Canadian student permit, Study in Canada, Canadian Universities.
Canada immigration
visa immigration Canada
Canada Immigration Canadian employment
Canada Visa
Immigration to Canada
Canadian Citizenship
Immigration to Canada services
Canada Immigration and Visa Help Center

Immigration Discussion
Free Online Evaluation
Canada Immigration
Canada Visa
           Study Visa
           Employment Visa
           Tourist Visa
Study in Canada
Canada Citizenship
Advise for
Canadian Employment
Canada Universities
Privacy Statement
Site Map
Contact Us

Who needs a study permit to study in Canada?
Citizenship and Immigration Canada


Most foreign students will need a Study Permit to study in Canada. There are some exceptions:

  • If you wish to study in a short-term course or program:
    You do not need a Study Permit if you are planning to take a course or program in Canada with a duration of six months or less. You must complete the course or program within the period authorized for your stay in Canada.

  • If you are a minor child already in Canada:
    You do not need a Study Permit if you are a minor child already in Canada, and your parents are not “visitors” in Canada.

  • Foreign representatives to Canada:
    If you are a family or staff member of a foreign representative to Canada accredited by the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade, you do not need a Study Permit to study.

Benefits of Having a Study Permit

You should apply for a Study Permit before you come to Canada if you think you may wish to continue your studies in another program after you complete the short-term course or program.

If you do not have a valid Study Permit and wish to continue your studies, you will have to leave Canada in order to apply for one!

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Why should I get a Study Permit?

There are benefits to having a Study Permit, even if you do not require one. If you have a valid Study Permit, you can:

  • work part-time on campus at the college or university at which you are registered as a full-time student; and
  • apply to renew your Study Permit from within Canada, if you decide to continue studying in Canada.

Q. When should I apply for my Study Permit?

You should apply as soon as you receive your letter of acceptance from the educational institution. The time needed to process an application to study in Canada may vary at different visa offices.

Q. What is a Temporary Resident Visa?

A Temporary Resident Visa is an official document issued by a visa office abroad. It is placed in your passport to show that you have met the requirements for admission to Canada as a temporary resident.

Q. Do I need a Temporary Resident Visa?

If you are from one of these countries you need a Temporary Resident Visa to enter Canada.

Q. How do I Apply for a Temporary Resident Visa?

If you need a Temporary Resident Visa in addition to your Study Permit, you do not have to make a separate application or pay a separate fee. An officer will issue it at the same time as the documentation that you will need to enter Canada as a student.


©2002-2007 All Rights Reserved.
Canadian Visa and Relocation Services.

Canadian Immigration Visa, relocation, and employment services. Temporary Visa to Canada.
Immigration to Canada Employment in Canada and Canadian citizenship and emigration services.
Emmigration to Canada and imigration forms. Emigrate and USA emmigration and green card.
Canada Green card which is named by Canadian citizenship within Canada.